Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11 Tribute to Dennis Michael Edwards

Five years ago on September 11th, as I was waking up to get my children ready for school, I found myself watching the news. I wasn't sure what I was actually seeing at the time. It looked to me like a very small plane had run into the side of the World Trade Center. I was laying there trying to wrap my sleepy brain around what it was that I was seeing, when all of a sudden, another plane flies into the other tower! I was awake at that very moment, and I knew what it was that I had just witnessed! It was terrorism, and as the moments wore on, and I woke my children, I knew that our lives would never be the same. It was a very surreal feeling, getting my kids ready for school, and after The Pentagon was hit, I actually started to feel as though there were bombs dropping out of the sky, all over our country. I have never felt so insecure. As the morning proceeded on, and the first tower fell, I could feel the devastation and death occurring all aroud me, even though I am on the other side of the country. My husband and I decided to send our kids to school that morning because it just seemed like the right thing to do. After the second tower fell while my husband and I watched, we were left with a very sick and heavy rock in our hearts. I went to work, as I was a bartender at the time, and the TV's were all going over the massive devastation, and all of the employees just sat and cried. People didn't really come in that day, but a few did just to watch the TV's and cry. I can't remember ever feeling so sad for people that I had never met, or for the loss of security that our country experienced that day, and I wasn't even personally effected by the loss of anybody. I can't even fathom being one of the people that lost a loved one on that day. This was the reason that I felt that this was a very special way to show my respect for the total loss that occurred on September 11th, 2001.

I have been honored to give tribute to Dennis Michael Edwards. He worked for Cantor Fitzgerald in Tower 1, on the 105th floor. He was 35 years old, and was from Huntington New York. He was married to Patricia, his high school sweetheart, and has a beautiful daughter, Alexa, who is now 7 years old. I believe that she is in 2nd grade this year, and I hope having a great start to her school year. I can only hope that his family is doing well, and have found some peace in their life, at this time. I hope that this anniversary can be a little less painful then the last one, and that the next anniversary will be just a little less painful. I hope that there a lot of cherished memories that can sustain the bad times, and that his family will tread lightly, and at some point, feel like there are more good times then bad. I wish them healing, peace, and serenity.

As my blog mentions, I am in school to become a midwife, and so when I found out that Dennis carried a pregnant lady down 80 flights of stairs when the World Trade Center was bombed in 1993, it made me admire him, even more. What a wonderful man.......

My children and I will hold a candle light vigil in the evening, and we will honor all of the wonderful people that lost their lives on that fateful day. 2,296 people.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home